Why Dehoney Financial Group?
We offer a competitive compensation and benefit plan; Group RRSP; Employee Assistance Program; personal development and tuition reimbursement; volunteer day to give back to your community; regular social events because it makes our team stronger; convenient location (close to transit, restaurants, etc.); bike-commuter friendly (showers, bike lock-up, etc.). Most of all we are a thoughtful and respectful team that values collaboration so we can learn and grow together!
There has never been a better time to consider a career at Dehoney Financial Group. We are growing and looking for some great new people to join our team. Check out our positions today!
Director of Finance
14-month term – Maternity Leave (starting February 2019)
You are a dynamic accounting professional who loves people, numbers and wearing multiple hats. You enjoy working in a smaller entrepreneurial organization where your input is valued. You possess excellent management, communication and interpersonal skills and have the ability to present financial information clearly and effectively to both accountants and non-accountants. You have a strong foundation of accounting knowledge in addition to experience managing and leading a team. You have the ability to see the big picture as well as to be hands-on and execute on the details.
About the Opportunity
We are seeking an exceptional Director of Finance with a diverse skill set and can-do attitude to fulfill a 14-month maternity leave contract. Reporting to the President, this position contributes to our success by overseeing key areas including Finance and Accounting, Human Resources, Information Technology and Claims Administration. You will also act as our Privacy and Compliance Officer. You will play an important role in the business and be relied upon to look past the numbers and truly understand what the business needs. The Director of Finance is a valuable member of our Senior Leadership and Executive Leadership Teams. This is both a strategic and hands-on role. You will have continued support from a CPA on the company’s advisory board who has worked in this position previously. Direct reports include: Accountant, Manager, HR and Manager, Claims Administration; indirect reports include: Office Coordinator and external IT consultants.
- Assist with developing strategic goals and objectives for the company
- Lead and manage the day-to-day accounting and finance functions for the organization
- Prepare monthly financial statements and analysis
- Prepare annual budget documents and analysis of monthly financial results to budgets
- Prepare management financial reports and analysis for the leadership teams
- Manage day-to-day banking and cash management operations
- Oversee payroll and benefits processing, payroll reporting and filings (administered by DFG Accountant)
- Establish and maintain relationships with various external parties including external auditors, lawyers, bankers, vendors and payroll administration provider
- Prepare and deliver all relevant working papers, as requested and act as main point of contact for external auditors
- Liaise with auditors to ensure all required tax information, including personal tax information for the President, is provided and various returns are completed correctly and filed on time
- Work closely with DFG’s HR Manager on HR-related issues
- Liaise with external IT consultants to ensure the company’s IT needs are being appropriately met
- Support the Claims Administration Manager to ensure department is operating efficiently and effectively
- Present to the Board on all matters regarding Finance, HR, IT and Claims Administration
- Act as the company’s Compliance and Privacy Officer
- Ensure compliance program for anti-money laundering/anti-terrorist financing is adequate and up-to-date
- Perform ad hoc analysis and reporting
- Perform other duties as assigned by the President
Education and Experience
- CPA designation with a minimum of 5 years of progressive experience in accounting & finance
- Minimum of 5 years of progressive management experience
- Strong accounting knowledge, gained through experience and education
- Proven experience managing payroll
- Previous experience with AccPac/Sage and other related accounting software
- Previous experience overseeing IT and Human Resources considered an asset
- Previous experience overseeing a compliance program for anti-money laundering/anti-terrorist financing considered an asset
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Excellent management, communication and interpersonal skills
- Strategic thinker
- Detail oriented with strong technical and organizational skills
- Ability to balance competing priorities and effectively deal with changing situations or priorities
- Dynamic personality with an ability to adapt to changing requirements
- Ability to manage, mentor and support a team
- Strong business acumen and analytical skills for effective problem resolution
- Strong knowledge of federal and provincial legislation related to finance, accounting and privacy; exposure to HR legislation is an asset
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, especially Excel (pivot tables etc.)
How to Apply
This position will remain open until the right hire is made, so please send your resume & cover letter with your “last name – Director of Finance” in the subject line to email@example.com. We thank all interested candidates; however only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. No employment agency calls please.
Analyst, Benefits Consulting
You enjoy supporting our benefits consultants and our clients by providing advanced analytical and problem-solving skills. You are organized and adept at tracking results against the team’s forecasts and recommendations. Your strong focus on clients and high quality, client-ready work contributes to successful project outcomes and client satisfaction.
You love analyzing numbers and you are an excel whiz, yet you see the big picture. You are passionate about developing strong relationships and working in a collaborative environment.
About the Opportunity
The Analyst, Benefits Consulting supports our consulting team primarily with mid to large case clients. This role partners with our Consultants for the complete employee benefits cycle, including plan design, benchmarking, market survey, carrier implementation, experience monitoring, and renewal rating.
- Perform advanced financial analyses, projections and illustrations
- Analyze carrier renewals and market surveys, and develop recommendations to support negotiations with respective providers/carriers
- Perform ASO reconciliations along with rate setting recommendations
- Conduct benchmarking studies and gap analysis
- Draft client deliverables including reports, spreadsheets and presentations
- Perform research and interpret information to support client solutions
- Maintain deep knowledge of client documentation including contracts and underwriting arrangements
- With a Benefits Consultant, may attend client meetings to gain an understanding of project requirements
- Remain current with benefits landscape including insurer news, products, legislation and seminars/educational events
Education and Experience
- Post-secondary diploma or degree in a relevant field or commensurate experience
- 3+ years of experience in a similar position (ideally includes experience with larger national accounts gained in benefits consulting firm or an underwriting department of a national insurer)
- GBA Designation is an asset or willingness to obtain within the first 36 months of employment
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to uphold confidentiality and manage sensitive situations with tact
- Strong analytic and data management skills including the ability to find trends using logical and systematic thinking to interpret information
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Excellent organizational skills and high attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to build collaborative relationships
- Build strong relationships internally/externally and collaborate effectively on cross-functional teams
- Self-motivated, strong customer service orientation and a positive attitude
- Ability to prioritize and manage competing demands in a dynamic environment
- Intermediate proficiency in Microsoft Office; advanced Excel skills. High level of computer literacy
How to Apply
This position will remain open until the right hire is made, so please send your resume & cover letter with your “last name – Analyst, Benefits Consulting” in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org. We thank all interested candidates; however only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. No employment agency calls please.